Monday, May 4, 2009

Waves on Tybee?


SCAD Graphic Design major Dillon Pope, took this picture with his waterproof digital camera 2 summers ago. I can’t tell you how many times I get into conversations with people about the waves on Tybee Island, GA.

“Oh, you surf? Me too. Too bad there are never any waves here.”

“I’ve seen it get up to 10 feet on Tybee during a storm,” I’ll say back.


“Yeah but that’s like hurricane conditions, and it’s probably choppy as hell, right?”

“I mean, it’s not that clean, but you can catch some fun rides if you go at the right time.”

No, you can’t just go out there and find ride-able waves any time of the week. But if it’s high tide and the swell is up, you can find waves better than this. It’s not the cleanest break, but the challenge helps the learning process. I saw one of my friends learn to surf on Tybee waves smaller than in this, then drop in on Charleston locals into 7-foot waves on Folly Beach, South Carolina, without hesitation.

Check out more pictures under the local photos section at:

http://magicseaweed.com/Tybee-Island-Surf-Report/643/

No comments:

Post a Comment